Saint-Pourçain-sur-Sioule and its famous vineyard
Are you a lover of good wines ?
Have you already explored the vineyard of Saint-Pourçain-sur-Sioule ?
If not, go for it ! And taste its wonderful grape varieties !
Book a room at L'Auberge de l'Orisse and enjoy a comfortable stay, only 15 minutes drive from Saint-Pouçain-sur-Sioule.
This wine-producing town, once fortified, is worth a visit !
Hidden behind its vineyards, this town is full of architectural treasures !
Start your walk by discovering its ancient monastery, then continue in its charming little streets lined with traditional winegrowers' houses, then stop in front of the abbey church of Sainte-Croix, which will bewitch you at first sight. Finally, escape to its incredible vineyard !
The guarantee of a successful stay !
A few historical and viticultural anecdotes...
- The vineyard of Saint-Pourçain is one of the oldest in France.
- In the Middle Ages, the wines of Saint-Pourçain were served at the table of the nobles.
- The Popes in Avignon loved this wine.
- In the 15th century, the wines of Saint-Pourçain were already very popular. Its vineyards covered more than 8,000 hectares.
- In 1892, the phylloxera fell on the vineyard.
And today, what about this vineyard ?
- There are now, only 640 hectares spread over 19 cities of the Allier.
- Its production is classified as AOC.
- This high wine place contains to date: 17 private cellars and 90 winegrowers members of its cooperative cellar.
What to visit ?
- The visit of the cooperative as well as the wine growers of Saint-Pourçain,
- The museum of the vine,
- The Conservatory of Chareil-Cintrat, presenting the old methods of culture and grape varieties.